In 1978, we created our first early childhood music-and-movement classes. Our curricula blend the music-education philosophies of Carl Orff, Zoltan Kodaly, and Shin’ichi Suzuki with the developmental research and pedagogical approaches of Lev Vygotsky, Jean Piaget, and Maria Montessori. Drawing upon the wisdom of these renowned scholars and others, we’ve developed programs that recognize and celebrate the extraordinary learning potential in young children, and empower those children to learn the way they learn best.
Kindermusik Through the Years
- 1960-1993: Inspired by a successful German music curriculum he discovered while studying in Cologne, Kindermusik founder Dan Pratt establishes and grows the music education company now known as Kindermusik International, Inc.
- 1997: Pratt retires from the company, but stays on as Chairman of the Board of Directors. Michael Dougherty becomes President and CEO.
- 2002: Kindermusik International employees jointly purchase the company from its 96 investors, creating a fully employee-owned company.
- 2005: With preschool and early childhood school attendance on the rise, Kindermusik launches Kindermusik@School, to serve the needs of private childcare centers and public school pre-K programs.
- 2008: Kindermusik International undertakes an ambitious sustainability initiative and introduces recycled product packaging and many other company-wide eco-friendly practices and products.
- 2011-12: Kindermusik International launches new curricula and home products in digital product formats, allowing for easy program access for international customers.
- 2013: An independent research study involving over 300 children finds that the Kindermusik@School Laugh & Learn curriculum is effective in building phonological awareness. Three-year-olds enrolled in Kindermusik classes over a nine-month period, with as little as 30 minutes a week of class, made literacy gains that were 32% higher than the non-enrolled control group.
- 2014: Scott Kinsey becomes President and CEO.